Animation courses are pursued by candidates who aspire to become animators, game designers, or illustrators. Candidates are taught how to add different kinds of effects to still objects by the use of different tools and software.
Popular animation courses are BSc Animation, BA Animation Bachelor of Visual Arts in Animation along with other specializations such as graphic design, media, or VFX. Apart from that various Animation Certificate Courses, and Free Online Animation Courses are offered by various online portals such as Udemy, Coursera, edX, etc.
Students from any discipline who have secured 50% marks in class 10+2 are eligible to apply for such courses. Popular Animation Colleges in India are NID Ahmedabad, VIT Vellore, AAFT Noida, etc.
The average Animation Salary of a fresher is INR 1.8 to 2 lakhs per annum, however, an experienced candidate can earn as much as INR 7.2 – 8.4 LPA. They get to work in job roles of a 2D/3D Animator, Web Designer, Graphic Designer, etc.
What is Animation?
- In order to become an animator, you need to pursue either bachelor or diploma courses in Animation. Certifications and Online Animation Courses help you to expertise and keep up with the latest trends in Animation.
- Students who have pursued BFA are also eligible to pursue a career as an animator, by taking up certification courses in Animation after graduation.
- BA Animation and Multimedia, BSc Animation, BDes Animation, Diploma in 2D/3D Animation, Diploma in Animation, and film making are some of the popular animation courses.
- The Animation course fee depends on the institution and the type of animation course one has opted for. The average fee is between INR 5,000-2,00,000.
- Animation courses admission is either based on merit or entrance exams. Apart from fulfilling the minimum requirement, candidates should also have some knowledge of software such as Autodesk3ds Max, Adobe After Effects, Autodesk Maya, Adobe Premiere, etc.
- The top colleges that offer Animation courses are NIELIT Delhi, NIELIT Lucknow, Arena Animation, Image Institute Of Multimedia Arts and Graphic Effects, etc. Check: Animation Courses in Delhi
- The various job roles for aspiring animators are Game Designers, 3D Animators, Web Designers, etc. The average salary ranges between INR 1.8- 2 lakhs per annum. Check: How to Become a Flash Animator?
- With the introduction of VFX and OTT platforms, employment opportunities for budding animators have increased significantly. Many top companies such as Disney, offer remote working opportunities for animators.
Why Animation Courses?
A career as an animator after pursuing an animation course is quite popular in the modern world. The 21st generation youth prefers to follow their passion and if someone is passionate about animation, they should definitely pursue an animation course. Animation courses are fun, knowledgeable, and super creative. They help to induce the creative mindset of aspirants. The following are some of the reasons why you should consider pursuing animation courses:
- Excellent Job Prospects in Diverse Industries: After pursuing an animation course, animation professionals have excellent job opportunities. Aspirants can work in production houses, advertising firms, design games, etc.
- Growing Demand and Supply: With the advancement of technology and the shift towards digitalization, the demand for animators is constantly increasing. Due to the increasing demand, pursuing an animation course is a lucrative career option.
- Creative Opportunities: If you can convey your ideas in a detailed manner to a huge audience creatively, then pursuing an animation course is a versatile and creative option. Animation courses will help the candidates in enhancing their creativity and expressing their ideas freely.
- Modern and Powerful Tool to Educate and Reach a Huge Audience: Pursuing an animation course and later taking up animation as a profession will help you in building a higher reach and will help in educating a wider audience in a single go.
- Salary: Junior animators or trainees may earn between Rs. 8,000 and Rs. 15,000 per month. They can earn Rs. 25,000-40,000 with three to five years of experience. A skilled animator with a strong portfolio of excellent animation work could easily earn Rs. 50,000-60,000 per month.
Types of Animation
Animation Courses are itself a huge field of study. Considering its popularity, it is divided into various course structures. However one should be aware of the forms of Animation that are commonly practiced across all Animation Industries. There are basically 4 forms of Animation, they are
- Traditional Animation: A traditional Animation is a form or technique whereby every single frame is drawn by hands. This technique was the dominant form of animation till the advent of computer animation.
- 2D Animation: 2D animation is the art of creating movements in two-dimensional spaces, these may include characters, creatures, backgrounds, and FX. Through 2D animation, an illusion of movements of the sort is created when individual drawings are sequenced over time.
- 3D Animation: 3D Animation is the art of using motion to bring characters, vehicles, props, etc to life within TV shows, games, films, etc.
- Motion Graphics: These are bits and pieces of animation or digital footage which create a sort of illusion of motion which are then combined with audio for use in various multi-media projects and assignments.
Animation Courses After 12th
Animation courses are available at certificate, diploma, to full-time UG, and PG levels. Among them, free online animation courses provided by Coursera, Udemy, edX are very popular.
Certificate animation courses are available in online and offline mode. These animation courses are extremely popular as most people wish to go for short-term animation courses. You may opt for these courses in any of the top media schools in the country.
- The certificate animation courses are specially meant for those students who already have an idea of animation but they wish to enhance their skills.
- The students get to know about different professional subjects like Advanced 3D Animation, Basics of 2D Animation, 2D Graphics, and many more.
- For admission to animation online courses, you need to navigate to the official website of the course provider and enroll yourself for the course. For offline courses, you may have to fill the application form. The certificate animation courses do not have any such prerequisites. However, you need to be familiar with basic computer skills.
- You may also need to submit your personal and academic details including the results of all previously attended examinations.
- After completing your certification course in animation, you are expected to earn an average salary of INR 2,00,000-3,00,000.
The table below shows some of the most sought-after Animation Courses certificates available online on various platforms.
|Maya for Beginners: Complete Guide to 3D Animation in Maya||Udemy||25 hours||INR 360|
|Basic 3D Animation using Blender||edX||4-6 hours per week for 4 weeks||INR 3,642|
|Learn 3D Animation – The Ultimate Blender Guide||Udemy||26.5 hours||INR 360|
|Animation and CGI Motion||edX||8-10 hours per week for 12 weeks||INR 3,642|
|2D Animation: Tips and Tricks||Lynda||11 hours||Free|
Animation Certificate Courses are available in offline mode also. Some of the courses have been listed below:
|Certificate Name||Institute Offering||Duration||Average Fees|
|Graphic Design and Communication||NIFT Delhi||6 months||INR 1,00,000|
|Certificate in 2D Animation using Flash||NIELIT Delhi, NIELIT Lucknow||4 weeks||INR 4,000|
|Certificate in 3D Max||YMCA New Delhi||3 months||INR 32,450|
|Advanced 3D Animation in Maya||Arena Animation, Jayanagar||6 months||INR 50,000|
|Animation Film Making||Arena Animation, Jayanagar||6 months||INR 50,000|
Diploma in Animation Courses
Diploma and PG Diploma in Animation Courses are industry-relevant courses that help you to become an animation expert in a very short while. The course will allow you to develop an advanced knowledge of animation.
- A diploma in Animation will provide you in-depth knowledge on topics like media stimulation, graphic designing, image manipulation, videography, visual effects, video editing.
- To pursue a diploma or PG Diploma animation course you will have to fill up the application form and submit all your required documents. Few courses have additional prerequisites. The entrance examination is mostly an aptitude test where you will be asked questions based on basic animation skills.
- The duration of this course is around 1 to 2 years and the average salary earned by the candidates is around 3 LPA.
- After the successful completion of the diploma and PG diploma animation course, you may become an animator, art director, 3D animator, film and video editor, etc.
Some of the most popular animation diploma courses that are offered by the colleges and universities of India have been listed below:
|Diploma Name||Colleges Offering||Duration||Average Fees|
|Advanced Diploma In 3D Animation and VFX||2 years||INR 50,000|
|Diploma in Graphics and Multilingual Desktop Publishing||6 months||INR 20,000|
|Diploma in Animation Design and Technology||International School of Design, Pune||6 months||INR 62,000|
|Diploma in Animation Engineering||Arena Animation, Jayanagar||6 months||INR 50,000|
|Diploma in Video Editing||NRAI School of Mass Communication, New Delhi||6 months||INR 50,000|
|Diploma in Animation and VFX||IACG Multimedia College, Hyderabad||12 months||INR 1,75,000|
|Diploma in Animation and Multimedia||IIFA Multimedia, Bangalore||1 Year||INR 10,000 – 10,00,000|
There are several PG Diploma Animation courses available across various colleges in India. A few of the PG diploma Animation courses have been listed below:
|PG Diploma Name||Colleges Offering||Duration||Average Fees|
|Post Graduate Diploma in Animation and Multimedia||Era University, Lucknow||1 year||INR 90,000|
|Post Graduate Diploma in VFX and Rotoscopy||Era University, Lucknow||1 year||INR 90,000|
|Post Graduate Diploma in Animation||ICAT Design and Media College, Bangalore||2 years||INR 50,000|
|Post Graduate Diploma in Visual Effects||ICAT-Hyderabad||2 years||INR 50,000|
|Master Diploma in Animation||IIFA Lancaster Degree College, Bangalore||2 years||INR 1,00,000|
Bachelors in Animation
Bachelor in Animation is a specialized course in the field of animation.
- The duration of a bachelor's in Animation is around 3 to 5 years. These courses explore all the important aspects of animation.
- The course will familiarize you with the application modules of animation so that you can pursue a career in that field.
- For taking admission to an undergraduate animation course candidates must have completed his/her 12 examinations from a recognized board to pursue animation courses after the 12th. A diploma holder in animation is also eligible.
- The average salary offered to the students is around INR 3-5 LPA. The salary of the candidates is expected to increase with time.
The course is meant for those students who wish to enhance their skills in communication through their knowledge of animation.
Check: Animation Courses after 12th
A large number of bachelor in Animation courses are available, like BA in animation or BSc in animation. The table below shows the list of some of the most popular Bachelor animation courses:
|Course Name||Top Colleges||Average Fees|
|BSc Animation & VFX||Birla Institute of Technology, Noida||INR 1,00,000|
|BSc Animation||Vogue Institute of Fashion Technology, Bangalore||INR 50,000|
|BSc Animation and Multimedia||VIT Chennai||INR 1,00,000 – 5,00,000|
|BFA Animation||Chandigarh University||INR 50,000 - 75,000|
|BSc Animation Film Making||MAKAUT Kolkata||INR 20,000 – 8,00,000|
|BDes Animation||NID Ahmedabad||INR 2,00,000 – 4,00,000|
|Bachelor in Media Graphics and Animation||Xplora Design Skool, Ahmedabad||INR 1,00,000|
|BVoc Media, Animation, and VFX||Bharathidasan University, Tiruchirappalli||INR 50,000|
|BA Animation||Whistling Woods, Mumbai||INR 1,00,000-2,00,000|
|BA Hons Multimedia (Animation and VFX)||IACG Multimedia College, Hyderabad||INR 1,60,000|
Masters in Animation
The masters in animation courses are quite popular and have extremely good career prospects to build a career in animation.
- The Masters in Animation Courses generally have a duration of 2 years but sometimes, it can be extended up to 3 years.
- This animation course will help you to learn about some of the most extraordinary concepts of animation. You will also get to know about the various software and tools using which you can add animation effects.
- The admission process is mostly done based on the marks acquired by the candidates in their graduation in animation courses.
- The average salary after a master's in animation is around INR 4-8 LPA.
The Animation Courses are studied by candidates who wish to pursue an academic career in animation. Most students, after completing their masters in an animation course, go for a Ph.D.
Given below are details of top Animation courses after graduation:
|Course Name||Top Colleges||Average Fees|
|MSc Animation||Jain University, Bangalore||INR 20,000 – 8,00,000|
|MA Animation||Sacred Heart College, Ernakulam||INR 42,000 – 78,000|
|MSc Multimedia and Animation||IIFA Multimedia||INR 1,00,000|
|Master in Animation Design||IIFA Multimedia||INR 1,00,000|
|MSc Media, Entertainment and Film Technology||Desh Bhagat University||INR 50,000|
|MA Multimedia (Animation and VFX)||IACG Multimedia College, Hyderabad||INR 1,70,000|
PhD in Animation
PhD animation courses will allow the students to carry out elaborate research in the field of animation.
- The minimum duration of the PhD in Animation courses is around 2 years and the maximum duration can be around 5 years.
- A PhD in animation will help the students to undergo research activities on the various techniques of animation.
- You will find a lot of institute-based entrance tests for admission to the PhD courses. Few of the most popular PhD entrance exams include UGC NET, CSIR UGC NET, JNU Ph.D. Entrance Test. The admission process may also involve an interview.
- The average salary after completing a PhD Animation is around INR 5-10 lakh in India.
The candidates who are mainly interested in research activities go for the doctorate animation courses.
The table below shows the most popular PhD Animation courses in India:
|Course Name||Top Colleges||Duration||Average Fees|
|PhD Animation & Multimedia||Birla Institute of Technology, Jaipur||3 years||INR 3,00,000|
|PhD Media Studies||3 years||INR 2,00,000|
Specializations in Animation Courses
Several specializations can be pursued in Animations courses, one can choose depending on the type of career that they want to make. Listed below are a few of the specializations for Animations courses,
- Game Animation
- Game Development
- 3D Animation
- 2D Animation
- Digital Animation
- Creative Computing
- Animation and VFX
- Illustration and Animation
- Character Animation
Career in Animation
A career as an animator is very lucrative, yet a very competitive career. As an animator, you have to stand out from the crowd to be an animator, and hence here are some tips to start a career after pursuing animation courses.
Develop and Practice Soft skills
- Apart from just building the foundational art skills required in animation and learning about editing the software, candidates must also develop acting and observation skills as it can help them understand the body language and movements of objects, which can help recreate specific emotions and qualities in their characters on screen.
- Teamwork is another very important skill that animators must possess. Animation projects require collaboration, and one must practice being a good group member and know how to manage feedback and constructive criticisms.
Create a Great Portfolio and Demos
- Building an exceptional portfolio is one of the most important steps before starting a career in animation.
- Apart from creating a portfolio, animators must also create demo reels to showcase their talent on the screen.
- Portfolios and Demos will help have an online presence and help attract a huge audience.
Take Inspiration and Practice
- No matter how good you are, there is always scope for improvement. No one is perfect and hence practice a lot.
- Keep improving yourself. Apart from regularly practicing, one must always take inspiration and follow others. Inspire yourself to do better every day.
Animation Courses Eligibility
For every animation course, candidates must follow certain basic minimum eligibility criteria. The eligibility criteria for certificate animation course, UG Animation Courses, PG Animation courses, and Doctorate animation courses are mentioned below:
There are no hard and fast rules as to who can study Animation courses, but one should be aware of the eligibility criteria which are a must obligation that needs to be fulfilled to pursue Animation Courses. Listed below are a few of the criteria for your reference
- Students who have cleared their 10+2 from any stream (Science/ Commerce/ Arts) can pursue a certificate, diploma, or undergraduate animation course.
- You must be skilled at sketching and have a strong interest in animation. A degree or diploma in animation can help you get a better job.
- A job in animation can be defined as the art of bringing a character or an object to life. It is concerned with the design, drawing, layout, and production of graphically rich and appealing multimedia clips. It is a combination of the entertainment industry and technology.
- There are over 300 animation studios in India, employing over 15,000 animation professionals. The gaming industry is one of the best places to work, and it pays well.
However, to pursue Animation courses at the postgraduate level, a candidate must have a bachelor’s degree in animation or related fields.
|Certificate||6 months||Passed X or XII from a well-known board|
|Diploma||1 Year||Passed XII from a well-known board|
|Undergraduate||3-4 years||Passed XII from a recognized board/ Completed diploma in a relevant course|
|Postgraduate||2 Years||Passed graduation course in Animation or a related subject|
|Doctorate||2-5 Years||Passed postgraduation in the relevant subject|
Animation Courses Online
Udemy, Skillshare, and Coursera have emerged as the top websites that offer the most popular online animation courses. With the growing popularity of animation courses, students prefer to pursue online animation courses as they are feasible to increase their knowledge and learn about the animation industry.
Skillshare Animation Courses
The popular Skillshare animation courses are mentioned below. Note that all of these courses are available free of cost.
|Animation for Illustration: Creating Layered GIFs with Photoshop & After Effects||2 Hours|
|Animation for Illustration: Adding Movement with Procreate & Photoshop||1 Hour|
|Programming Graphics II: Generative Art Animation||8 Hours|
|Introduction to Cinema 4D: A Beginner's Animation Guide||8 Hours|
|Animation Principles: Add Playful Personality To Your Animations||4 Hours|
|Into Animation: Character Animation Fundamentals||5 Hours|
Udemy Animation Courses
The popular Udemy animation courses are mentioned below. Note that all of these courses are available for INR 4,160.
|Learn Professional Pixel Art & Animation for Games||4.5 Hours|
|Learn 3D Animation||2 Hours|
|UI Animation using Sketch 3, Principle App, and Flinto||9 Hours|
|Animating in Unity||25 Hours|
Coursera Animation Courses
The following are some of the most popular animation courses provided by Coursera.
|Introduction to Programming and Animation with Alice||47 Hours|
|Game Design: Art and Concepts Specialization||6 months|
|Interactive Computer Graphics||28 Hours|
|Unity Certified 3D Artist||6 Months|
|Getting Started with Adobe Spark||1 Hour|
Animation Colleges in India
|IIT Bombay, Mumbai||INR 32,000|
|Loyola College, Chennai||INR 22,120|
|Fergusson College, Pune||INR 76,145|
|VIT Vellore||INR 99,000|
|JMI New Delhi||INR 84,620|
|PSGR Krishnammal College for Women, Coimbatore||INR 12,450|
|MAHE Manipal||INR 60,000|
|Pearl Academy, New Delhi||INR 6,25,800|
|LBC Kolkata||INR 5,000|
To pursue an animation course and a career as an animator, a candidate must have several skills. Apart from being extremely passionate about animation and creativity, candidates should possess the following skills:
|Confidence||Good Eye for Design|
|Time Management||Organizational Skills|
|Imagination and creativity||Analytical Skills|
Animation Jobs And Scope
Animation is a very popular career option in India which provides you with the opportunity to build your future in a wide number of fields. Given below are some of the best animator jobs for students pursuing animation courses along with the skills required and salaries:
|Job Profile||Job Description||Salary|
|Animator||An animator is responsible for using various techniques to produce moving images that will convey a particular message. They work with project teams and establish various goals. An animator may also refine existing animations. They listen to feedback from the clients and fulfill their requirements.||INR 4,00,000-6,00,000|
|Art Director||An art director creates graphic content for the websites of various companies. The art director is also involved in continuous communication with the senior management team about the progress of their projects. He/She will manage all the different aspects of graphic design and will create a brand image for various companies||INR 6,00,000-8,00,000|
|Film and Video Editor||Animation students may also take up the role of film and video editor. Their task is to edit the films and the videos until it meets the requirements of the director. The editors will also rearrange all the scenes to create a complete and meaningful film. They manipulate raw footage, sound effects, and graphics.||INR 6,00,000-10,00,000|
|3D Modeler||A 3D Modeler uses different types of animation tools to bring models to life. This job has a lot of scope in the engineering and advertisement industry. The 3D modelers will create visual illusions in the minds of users by adding animation effects to the models.||INR 5,00,000-7,00,000|
Animation Courses: Top Recruiters
The following are the top recruiters of animation courses graduates:
|Reliance Media Companies Ltd, Mumbai||Crest Animation Studios, Mumbai|
|Anibrain, Pune||Pentamedia Graphics, Chennai|
|MAKUTA||UTV Toonz, Mumbai|
The salary for an animator after pursuing an animation course in his initial years is INR 1-3 LPA. With years of experience, it can go up to INR 7 - 8 LPA.
|Entry Level Salary||INR 1,06,000|
|Mid Level Salary||INR 3,24,000|
|Senior Level Salary||INR 10,50,000|
Animation Salary Experience Wise
|1-4 Years||INR 2,00,000 - 3,06,000 LPA|
|5-9 Years||INR 3,10,000 - 5,10,000 LPA|
|>10 Years||INR 6,00,000-10,00,000 LPA|
Animation Salary Gender Wise
|Male||INR 2,80,000 per annum|
|Female||INR 2,64,000 per annum|
Animation Courses: FAQs
Ques. Are Animation courses available online?
Ques. Can I take up a certification course in animation in offline mode?
Ques. What is the duration of an online Animation Course?
Ques. What is the average course fee for an Animation course?
Ques. Which colleges have the best animation courses?
Ques. What are the courses for animation?
Ques. What are the common job profiles after completing Animation courses?
Ques. What is the average salary after completing an Animation course?
Ques. Can I join animation courses after the 12th?
Ques. Prerequisite for joining an animation course?