Designing courses are typically job-oriented courses that are offered at Undergraduate, Postgraduate and Doctorate levels. In addition to this, there are numerous diploma courses and online certificates in India to train students in specific skills they need.
Students can pursue Designing courses through various streams that are available in India such as Fashion Designing, Interior Designing, Apparel Designing, Jewellery Designing, Textile Designing, Product Designing, Furniture Designing, Industrial Designing, etc.
Admissions to these courses are usually done through entrance exams and merit basis, depending on the college that the students are applying to. However, for Design Certificate Courses, direct admission is done by enrolling in the course and depositing the fees.
After completing courses in Designing such as Fashion Designing Courses and Interior Designing courses, students get jobs in many reputed companies such as Raymonds, Benetton, Arvind Garments, Levis, Lifestyle, Pantaloons, and so on, hire Design graduates. The average salary after designing courses in India is INR 3,00,000 - 6,00,000 lakh per year.
Certificate Designing Courses
Certificate programs in Designing courses are offered both in online mode and offline mode. Online certificate courses are more popular and get updated regularly with the trend. They are usually of varied duration from a few hours to a few months.
- The main purpose of the certificate courses is to update the students with the latest trend and updates in any particular specialization. Since art and fashion never gets old and something new comes every day, certification courses help the students to stay updated.
- Certificate programs are opted by candidates who are already pursuing a job and would like to gain some extra knowledge in any particular specialization.
- Online certificate programs give the advantage of having flexible hours so that it won’t affect our daily schedule.
- The minimum eligibility criteria required for pursuing Certificate Designing Courses are that students should clear their class 12th board examinations
Completing more certificate courses also gives opportunities to increase the salary package. The average salary after certificate designing courses is up to INR 20,000 per annum for beginners.
Top Online Certificates in Designing Courses
|Graphic Design Certification||Coursera||6 months||Free|
|Interaction Design||Coursera||10 months||Free|
|UI/UX Design||Coursera||4 months||Free|
|Intro to Cinema 4D||Skillshare||1 hour 42 mins||Free|
|Visual and Graphic Design||Alison||3 hours||Free|
|Web Design Course||Alison||15 hours||Free|
|Graphic Design Bootcamp||Udemy||15.5 hours||INR 700|
|UX and Web Design||Udemy||23.5 hours||INR 700|
|Illustrator CC||Udemy||12 hours||INR 700|
|Design Fundamentals||NID||6 months||INR 5,000|
Top Offline Certificates in Designing Courses
|Course Name||College Name||Duration||Fee|
|Certificate in Creative Fashion Styling||National Institute of Fashion Technology, Mumbai||6 months||INR 82,000|
|Certificate in Draping and Pattern Making||IIFT Bangalore||3 month||NA|
|Certificate in Textiles for Interiors and Fashion||NIFT Delhi||1 year||INR 75,000|
|Certificate in Pattern Making & Garment Construction||Design Academy||6 months||-|
|Fashion Illustration & Design||YMCA Delhi||6 months||INR 30,000|
|Certificate in Art of Fashion Draping||JD Institute of Fashion Technology, Bangalore||6 months||-|
Certificate Designing Courses Admissions
- In colleges, admission for certification courses is done in an organized manner and no entrance test will be conducted for the admission process. Direct admissions are offered to students for certificate designing courses.
- The admission will be completely merit based on the marks obtained in 10th or 12th examination.
- For the online certification courses, candidates need to apply on the website of the course provider to get themselves enrolled.
- The eligibility criteria is 10th or 12th pass depending upon the course and the provider.
For these courses, admission is confirmed as soon as the fees payment is done.
Top Colleges for Certification Course in Designing
|India Today Ranking||College Name||Location|
|1||National Institute of Fashion Technology (NIFT)||Delhi|
|11||Amity School of Fashion Technology||Noida|
|12||JD Institute of Fashion Technology||Bangalore|
|21||Amity School of Fashion Technology||Lucknow|
|27||Whistling Woods International Institute of Film, Communication and Creative Arts||Mumbai|
|33||Acharya Institute of Graduate Studies||Bangalore|
Diploma and PG Diploma Designing Courses
Diploma courses can be pursued after the completion of class 10th or 12th, depending upon the eligibility criteria of the course. PG Diploma is pursued after the completion of Diploma or Graduation.
- Admission will be based on merit and the marks obtained in the previous qualifying examination. No entrance exam will be conducted for Diploma or PG Diploma admissions.
- The difference between a full time bachelor’s course and diploma is that diplomas offer specific knowledge on a topic and thus save time and money.
- Diploma courses are usually offered in duration of 1 year and PG Diploma courses are offered in duration of 2 years.
- The minimum eligibility criteria for pursuing a Diploma in Designing Courses are that students should clear their class 12th board examinations and for PG Diploma students should clear their graduation from a recognised University.
Diploma courses are preferred by students who prefer to gain knowledge in a short span of time and join a job instead of spending long years learning the concepts.
The average salary after completing diploma courses in designing is INR 2-5 LPA in India.
Top UG Diploma Designing Courses
Some of the popular diploma courses pursued in the designing field are given in the below tabulation.
|Diploma Course||College Offering||Average Fees|
|Diploma in Interior Design||Pacific University, Rajasthan||INR 40,000|
|Foundation Course in Jewel Making||Indian Institute of Gems and Jewellery, Mumbai||INR 35,000|
|Footwear Design and Manufacture Diploma||Central Footwear Training Institute, Agra||INR 45,000|
|Jewelry Design||Jewelry Design and Technology Institute, Noida||INR 1,15,000|
|Interior Architecture and Design||Delhi School of Architecture and Design||INR 3,30,000|
|Diploma in Graphic Designing & UI/UX||IACG Multimedia College, Hyderabad||INR 1,75,000|
Diploma courses could be pursued in various different specializations such as Fashion Design, Graphic Design, Product Design, Web Design according to your preference.
Top PG Diploma Designing Courses
PG Diploma courses are pursued after the completion of Graduation or Diploma courses in the relevant stream. Some of the PG Diploma courses offered in India are given in the following tabulation.
|PG Diploma Name||College Name||Average Fees|
|PGD in Fashion Designing & Boutique Management||IIFT College of Fashion, Bangalore||INR 2,00,000|
|PGD in Digital Modeling||Ajeenkya DY Patil University, Pune||INR 1,50,000|
|Master Diploma in Interior Designing||IIFA Lancaster Degree College, Bangalore||INR 2,30,000|
|PGD in Web Designing||Government Polytechnic, Ghaziabad||INR 1,00,000|
|PGD in Product Design and Graphic Design||National Institute of Creative Communication, Bangalore||INR 1,65,000|
|PGD in Interior Design||JD Institute of Fashion Technology, Pathankot||INR 33,000|
Diploma and PG Diploma Designing Courses Admissions
- Admission to diploma courses are completely based on merit of class 10th and 12th and for PG Diploma, graduation marks are considered.
- The eligible candidates should apply on the official website of the college for the preferred course, and the college will release shortlisted candidates based on the merit score.
- No entrance exam will be conducted for Diploma or PG Diploma courses.
Top Colleges Offering Diploma in Designing Courses
Bachelor Designing Courses
Students with an interest in Arts and Designing, who are also looking forward to earning a full time degree, should choose Bachelor designing courses.
- The duration of Bachelor Designing courses is 3-4 years.
- These courses come in both general form and also with many specializations.
- In most colleges, admission is done through state level as well as national level entrance examinations.
- Bachelor courses provide a strong foundation to the students and give good understanding of basic concepts.
- The eligibility criteria for pursuing a Bachelor Designing course is that, students must clear their class 12th board from from a recognised board with minimum 55% aggregate marks or equivalent CGPA.
Bachelor designing courses are preferred by students who want to opt for a long term career and want to understand every basic detail of the field.
The average salary after bachelor designing courses in India is around INR 3-5 lakh per annum.
Top UG Designing Courses
The following tabulation gives the major subjects one can opt at the UG level in the field of designing.
|Course Name||Top Colleges||Average Fees|
|BDes in Fashion Design, Leather Design, Accessory Design, Textile Design, Knitwear Design, Fashion Communication, Industrial Design||Symbiosis Institute of Design Vellore Institute of Technology SRM University PES University Lovely Professional University IIFA Apeejay Stya University IIT Guwahati||INR 80,000-4,00,000|
|BSc in Fashion Design, Costume Design, Fashion Communication, Interior Design, Garment Manufacture, Apparel Design||Pearl Academy JD Institute of Fashion Technology IIFT NIFT Miranda College Gargi College||INR 7000-5,00,000|
|BVoc in Garment Design, Fashion Design||PSGR Krishnammal College University of Pune University of Lucknow Loyola College||INR 2500-80,000|
|BFTech in Apparel Production||Bannari Amman Institute of Technology College of Engineering and Technology||INR 50,000-3,00,000|
|BA in Fashion Design, Product Design, Jewellery Design, Communication Design, Fashion Styling & Image Design||
Arch Academy of Design, Pearl Academy, Indian Institute of Art and Design (IIAD), New Delhi
|BA Hons Multimedia (Art & Design)||IACG Multimedia College, Hyderabad||INR 1,60,000|
Bachelor Designing Courses Admissions
Admission in Bachelor designing courses is done through both merit and entrance basis, depending upon the college.
- Some colleges follow merit based admission and provide admission on the basis of the marks secured by the candidates in the previous qualifying examination
- Certain private institutes follow entrance based admission which is conducted by the institute itself.
- Some of the top entrance exams of undergraduate Designing courses include Common Entrance Examination for Design (CEED), National Institute of Design Entrance Exam, NIFT Entrance Exam, Undergraduate Common Entrance Examination for Design (UCEED), Pearl Academy Entrance Exam.
- Students appearing for the entrance examination should have passed 10+2 from a recognized board with 50% marks in aggregate.
Bachelor Designing Courses Entrance Exams
The following table gives the exam considered for admission in undergraduate designing courses in India.
|Entrance Exam||Exam Date||Conducting Body||Mode of Exam|
|UCEED||Jan 2022||IIT Bombay||Online|
|CEED||Jan 2022||IIT Bombay||Online & Offline|
|NID Entrance Exam||April 2022||NID||Offline|
|NIFT Entrance Exam||Jan 2022||NIFT||Offline|
Top Colleges for Bachelor Designing Courses
The following table gives the best colleges in India to pursue Designing courses at the UG level.
|India Today Ranking||College Name||Fees|
|1||National Institute of Fashion Technology (NIFT)||INR 13.10 lakh|
|2||National Institute of Fashion Technology (NIFT)||INR 13.10 lakh|
|9||Symbiosis Institute of Design (SID)||INR 4.2 lakh|
|10||Pearl Academy||INR 3.81 lakh|
|11||Amity School of Fashion Technology||INR 1.52 lakh|
|12||JD Institute of Fashion Technology||INR 1.8 lakh|
|NA||Indian Institute of Art and Design (IIAD)||INR 4.68 lakh|
|NA||IACG Multimedia College||INR 1.6 lakhs|
Master Designing Courses
Master Designing courses are pursued by students who look for more specializations after their bachelor’s degree.
- The duration of the PG Designing course is 2 years.
- Master degrees enhance the knowledge of the students in that particular specialization and refine their skills.
- Admission method depends upon the college. In most colleges, admission is done through state level as well as national level entrance examinations.
- Students who have cleared their graduation with minimum 50% aggregate marks or equivalent CGPA from a recognised University are eligible to apply for a Master Designing course.
Top PG Designing Courses
The following tabulation gives the major subjects one can opt in post graduate designing courses.
|Course Name||Top Colleges||Average Fees|
|MDes in Fashion Design, Leather Design, Accessory Design, Textile Design, Knitwear Design, Fashion Communication||MIT WPU SRM University PES University Lovely Professional University IIFA Apeejay Stya University IIT Guwahati||INR 50,000-4,00,000|
|MSc in Fashion Design, Costume Design, Fashion Communication, Interior Design, Garment Manufacture, Apparel Design||Pearl Academy JD Institute of Fashion Technology IIFT NIFT Miranda College Gargi College||INR 20,000-3,00,000|
|MTech in Fashion Technology, Apparel Production||Bannari Amman Institute of Technology College of Engineering and Technology||INR 30,000-4,00,000|
|MA in Fashion Design, Product Design, Jewellery Design, Communication Design, Fashion Styling & Image Design||Arch Academy of Design Pearl Academy NIFT Indian Institute of Art and Design (IIAD), New Delhi WLCI School of Fashion Technology Techno Global University Amity University KR Mangalam University||INR 20,000-2,00,000|
|MA Multimedia (Art & Design)||IACG Multimedia College, Hyderabad||INR 1,70,000|
Master’s in Designing Courses Admission
Admission in Master designing courses is done through both merit and entrance basis depending upon the college.
- Most of the colleges offer seats on merit basis, considering the marks secured by the candidates in the previous qualifying examination.
- Some private universities and institutes offer admission through entrance exams conducted by them.
- Some of the top entrance exams of Postgraduate Designing courses include Common Entrance Examination for Design (CEED), National Institute of Design Entrance Exam, NIFT Entrance Exam, Undergraduate Common Entrance Examination for Design (UCEED), Pearl Academy Entrance Exam.
- Students appearing for the entrance examination should have graduated in the relevant stream from a recognized University or Institute with 50% marks in aggregate.
Master Designing Courses Entrance Exams
The following table gives the exam considered for admission in post graduate designing courses in India.
|Entrance Exam||Exam Date|
|NID Entrance Exam||April 2022|
|NIFT Entrance Exam||Jan 2022|
Top Colleges for Master Designing Courses
The following table gives the best colleges in India to pursue Designing courses at postgraduate level.
|College Name||Average Fees|
|National Institute of Fashion Technology (NIFT)||INR 6,01,600|
|National Institute of Fashion Technology (NIFT)||INR 2,40,000|
|National Institute of Fashion Technology||INR 8,24,000|
|Pearl Academy||INR 3,70,000|
|Symbiosis Institute of Design||INR 5,79,000|
|Amity School of Fashion Technology||INR 82,000|
|Army Institute of Fashion and Design||INR 7,17,000|
|Indian Institute of Art and Design (IIAD)||INR 4.29 lakh|
|IACG Multimedia College||INR 1.7 lakhs|
Doctorate Designing Courses
Doctorate designing courses are opted by students who wish to enter the research field.
- The minimum duration of the doctorate course is 2 years and it could be extended as per the demands of the research.
- Candidates who have completed doctorate courses have the option to become teachers or lecturers in colleges.
Top PhD Designing Courses
The following tabulation gives the major subjects one can opt in doctorate designing course.
|Course Name||Top Colleges||Average Fees|
|PhD in Fashion Design, Leather Design, Accessory Design, Textile Design, Knitwear Design, Fashion Communication||National Institute of Design (NID) Industrial Design Centre IIT Mumbai IIT Kanpur Amity School of Fashion Technology PSG College of Technology National Institute of Fashion Technology||INR 50,000-1,50,000|
Doctorate Designing Courses Admissions
Admission in Doctorate designing courses is done through both merit and entrance basis, depending upon the college.
- In certain colleges, admission will be provided based on the counselling process and personal interview. Private colleges provide admission through entrance exams.
- Some of the top entrance exams of Doctorate Designing courses include the Design Research Test (DRT), All India Entrance Examination for Design (AIEED) and Design Aptitude Test.
- Students appearing for the entrance examination should hold post graduation degree in the relevant stream from a recognized University or Institute with 50% marks in aggregate.
Doctorate Designing Courses Entrance Exams
The following table gives the exam considered for admission in doctorate designing courses in India.
|Entrance Exam||Exam Date||Conducting Body||Mode of Exam|
|AIEED||July 30-Aug 10, 2021||Arch Academy of Design||Online|
|DRT||To be announced||NID||Offline|
Top Colleges for Doctorate Designing Courses
The following table gives the best colleges in India to pursue Designing courses at doctorate level.
|NIRF Ranking||College Name||Average Fees|
|2||Industrial Design Centre, IIT Mumbai||INR 67,900|
|5||IIT Kanpur||INR 57,000|
|11||IIT Guwahati||INR 12,200|
|24||PSG College of Technology||INR 8,900|
Job Options After Designing Courses
There are a huge variety of career options available for candidates who have completed designing courses, depending upon the specialization they choose. The following section gives various career opportunities available for candidates who completed Designing courses in different streams.
|Job Profile||Job Description||Salary|
|Fashion Designer||After the successful completion of the course in Fashion Designing, candidates could become fashion designers, fashion marketers, quality control manager, fashion coordinators, etc. Top recruiters of Fashion Designing are Raymonds, Levis, Lifestyle, Shoppers stop, Pantaloons.||INR 3-5 LPA|
|Textile Designer||After the completion of the Textile Designing course, candidates could become Textile designer, fabric resource managers, fabric analysers, embroidery designers, etc. Top recruiters of Textile designing are Arvind Garments, Madura Garments, Orient Craft, Mahajan Overseas.||INR 2-4 LPA|
|Game Designer||After completing the course in Game Design, candidates could become 2D game designer, 3D game designer, 2D web & graphics designers, 3D web & graphic designers, game testers, etc.||INR 3-5 LPA|
|Graphic Designer||After the completion of the graphic designing course, candidates could become web designers, graphic designers, digital imaging specialists, interactive designers, etc.||INR 1-5 LPA|
|Apparel Designer||The main job of the Apparel Designer is to track the current fashion trends and predicting the future trends, sketching new designs, selecting patterns and fabrics to use in garments and overseeing production.||INR 4-6.5 LPA|
Skills Required in Designing Courses
Designing is a creative stream and it requires candidates to have a good eye for detail. The following section gives some of the important skills required for a candidate to pursue designing as a career.
- Creative Skills
- Analytical Skills
- Communication Skills
- Business Skills
- Self Confidence
- Computer Skills
- Time Management Skills
- Decision Making Skill
- Team Managing Skills
Online Designing Courses Fees and Rating Comparison
For a detailed study about online courses, refer to the following tabulation. The online designing courses in order of rating are mentioned with the duration of the course.
|UX Designer||Coursera||4 months||4.8||Free|
|Fundamentals of Graphic Design||Courser||15 hours||4.8||Free|
|Illustrator CC 2020 MasterClass||Udemy||13 hours||4.5||INR 700|
|UX Designer||Udemy||5 hours||4.5||INR 700|
|Fashion as Design||Coursera||7 weeks||4.5||Free|
|Pattern-Making for Fashion Design||Udemy||24 hours||4.5||INR 455|
|Jewellery Design||Udemy||5 hours||4.1||INR 455|
Comparison of Online Platforms Offering Designing Courses
The table below gives some of the points to compare the online designing course offered by the most popular agencies, Udemy and Coursera. In this case we are comparing the UX Designer course offered by them.
|Duration||12 hours||4 months (Approx)|
|Created by||Daniel Walter Scott||California Institute of the Arts|
Designing Courses: FAQs
Ques. Can I learn Designing Courses online?
Ques. Which platform is good for a free online designing course?
Ques. What is the average salary offered after completing designing courses?
Ques. What are the benefits of studying Designer course?
Ques. Does it cost too much to pursue a Designing course in India?
Ques. What subjects are taught under Designing courses?
Ques. What are the skills required to study Designing courses?
Ques. Which is the best college to study Designing courses?
Pearl Academy, Delhi
Arch College of Design & Business
Symbiosis Institute of Design
Ques. Is there scope for Fashion Designing in the future?
Ques. Which design course is the best for students?
Ques. What is the best field in Designing?
Ques. What is Industrial Design course?