Pharmacy courses belong to the field of sciences and chemistry that deals with the study and development of pharmaceutical drugs for their safe and effective use in healthcare.
The eligibility criteria for various pharmacy courses is different, however, passing the 10+2 examination and a valid cut-off score in pharmacy entrance exams like GPAT, WBJEE, TS-EAMCET is necessary to get admission in degree pharmacy courses. For certificate and diploma pharmacy courses, admission is granted directly on the basis of merit scores of class 10 and class 12 respectively.
Pharmacy Courses After 12th are available as Certificate and Diploma courses, both online and offline. Full-time degree pharmacy courses include B Pharma, M Pharmacy, and Doctor of Pharmacy in various specializations.
The average salary offered after a pharmacy course ranges from INR 2 to 10 lakhs, depending on the type of pharmacy courses and the jobs you get offered. The most popular pharmacy jobs include pharmacist, drug inspector, research associate, etc.
What are Pharmacy Courses?
- Pharmacy courses are an alternative option apart from MBBS and BDS courses for a PCB student who wish to pursue medical programs. Bachelor of Pharmacy or BPharm can help aspirants secure a career after graduation.
- Pharmacy courses are offered at different levels and to get admission in any of the Pharmacy courses, candidates need to fulfill the required eligibility criteria.
- A student pursuing a Pharmacy course will be studying communication skills development, environmental science studies, ethical practices and regulations of Pharmacy Council of India apart from important pharmacy courses subjects.
- Students can secure jobs in government as well as the private sector. Candidates can also start their own business after getting their pharmacist license after completing pharmacy courses.
Pharmacy Course Eligibility
Checkout the Pharmacy course eligibility criteria for different types of pharmacy courses:
- Diploma in Pharmacy: Candidates should have completed class 10+2 with science subjects i.e. Physics, Chemistry, Biology and Mathematics.
- Bachelor in Pharmacy: Candidates must have passed class 10+2 from a recognized board and studied Physics, Chemistry, Mathematics or Biology and English subjects.
- Master of Pharmacy: Candidates who have a BPharm degree with minimum qualifying marks as required from a pharmacy college that is approved by the Pharmacy Council of India (PCI).
- Doctor of Pharmacy: Candidates must have completed higher education from any recognized board and studied Physics, Chemistry with Mathematics or Biology as optional subjects. Candidates with a diploma in pharmacy degree are also eligible for PharmD course.
Types of Pharmacy Courses
Check out different types of pharmacy courses and their details mentioned below:
Pharmacy Certificate Courses
- Institute of Good Manufacturing Practices India (IGMPI), DIA Global, and Catalyst Clinical Services are the top institutes in India that offer various certificate courses in Pharmacy.
- These are industry certifications that can be pursued in either regular for distance/online mode for a duration of 3-6 months.
- Certificate courses in Pharmacy come with various perks such as industry experience, job assistance, and flexibility to pursue either in regular or distance mode.
- Mankind Pharma, Glenmark Generics, Jubilant Lifesciences Ltd, are the top recruiters that recruit professionals who have pursued certificate courses in Pharmacy from IGMPI.
|Industry Certificate in Pharma Product Management||3-6 months||INR 50,000|
|Industry Certificate in Pharmaceutical Technology Transfer||3-6 months||INR 50,000|
|Industry Certificate in Pharmaceutical Packaging||3-6 months||INR 50,000|
|Industry Certificate in Pharmaceutical Process Engineering||3-6 months||INR 50,000|
|Industry Certificate in Biopharmaceutical Technology||3-6 months||INR 50,000|
|Industry Certificate in Pharmacovigilance||3-6 months||INR 50,000|
|Industry Certificate in Pharmaceutical Chemistry||3-6 months||INR 50,000|
|Industry Certificate in Pharmaceutical Formulation and Entrepreneurship||3-6 months||INR 50,000|
|Industry Certificate in Pharma Sales and Marketing Management||3-6 months||INR 50,000|
|Professional Certificate In Pharmacovigilance||1-6 months||INR 15,000|
|Safety and Pharmacovigilance Certificate Program||Self-paced||--|
Pharmacy Courses Online
|Udemy- Your Guide To the Pharmaceutical Industry||42 minutes||INR 740|
|Udemy- Become a pharmacy technician||5 hours||INR 700|
|Udemy- Top Drugs 1 - Medications you NEED to Know - Pharmacy||3 hours||INR 700|
|Coursera- Drugs, drug use, drug policy, and health||29 hours||INR 3,642|
|Coursera- Drug Discovery||11 hours||Free|
Pharmacy Certificate Course Admissions
Pharmacy Courses Online on Udemy and Coursera can be pursued right after high school. Interested students can apply directly to the website and start with the courses. IGMPI and other institutions however accept applicants who have a bachelor’s degree in Life Sciences, Biotechnology, Microbiology, etc. BTech/BDS/MBBS/BPharma/BAMS/Diploma or other related discipline students are also eligible to apply.
Diploma in Pharmacy Courses
|Diploma in Pharmacy||2 Years|
|Diploma in Ayurvedic Pharmacy||2 Years|
|Diploma in Pharmaceutical Marketing||2 Years|
|Diploma in Drug Store Management||2 Years|
|Diploma in Clinical Research and Pharmacovigilance||1-3 Years|
|PG Diploma in Drug Store Management||1-3 Years|
|PG Diploma in Principles of Clinical Pharmacology||1-3 Years|
|PG Diploma in Pharmaceutical Management||2 Years|
|PG Diploma in Pharmaceutical Quality Assurance||2 Years|
|PG Diploma in Pharmaceutical Chemistry||2 Years|
|PG Diploma in Herbal Products||1-3 Years|
Diploma in Pharmacy Courses: Admissions
The D pharma admission process is based on the merit score of 10+2. Some colleges might take an entrance exam to test general aptitude skills. The candidates may also be asked to go through some certification courses before getting admitted to a particular college. Check: D Pharmacy Admission 2021 to get the latest updates on the application and exam dates.
Diploma in Pharmacy Courses: Top Colleges
|College Name||Average Fees|
|Jamia Hamdard||INR 70,000|
|Panjab University||INR 5,000|
|National Institute of Pharmaceutical Education and Research, Punjab||INR 90,500|
|Institute of Chemical Technology||INR 85,000|
|Birla Institute of Technology and Science||INR 4,23,000|
|IIPM Lucknow||INR 6,978|
|JSS Academy of Higher Education and Research||INR 50,000|
|Madurai Kamaraj University, Tamil Nadu||INR 30,000|
|SIES College of Management Studies, Mumbai||INR 2,00,000|
|Indian Institute of Commerce and Trade||INR 2,00,000|
Undergraduate Pharmacy Courses
|B Pharma (Bachelor of Pharmacy)||4 Years|
|B Pharm (Pharmaceutical Chemistry)||4 Years|
|Bachelor of Pharmacy in Pharmacognosy||4 Years|
|Bachelor of Ayurvedic Pharmacy||4 Years|
|Bachelor of Pharmacy (Hons)||4 Years|
|B Pharm (Pharmaceutics)||4 Years|
|B Pharm + MBA||5 Years|
UG Pharmacy Courses: Admissions
- Aspiring students must have secured a minimum of 50% marks in class 10, and class 12 with Physics, Chemistry, and Biology as the core subjects from a recognized board.
- Students who have pursued any Diploma in Pharmacy Courses are also eligible to apply for undergraduate courses in Pharmacy if they have secured a minimum of 50% marks.
- Students who have secured valid scores in state-level entrance exams like WBJEE, TS-EAMCET, AP-EAMCET, BCECE can also apply for undergraduate courses in Pharmacy admissions.
- Check B Pharmacy Admission 2021 to get the latest updates on application dates and entrance exam dates of top B pharmacy colleges.
UG Pharmacy Courses: Top Colleges
Postgraduate Pharmacy Courses
|M Pharmacy (Master of Pharmacy)||2 Years|
|MSc (Clinical Research and Pharmacovigilance)||2 Years|
|M Pharm (Clinical Pharmacy)||2 Years|
|M Pharm (Industrial Pharmacy)||2 Years|
|MSc (Pharmacology)||2 Years|
|M Pharm (Pharmaceutics)||2 Years|
|M Pharm (Biopharmaceutics)||2 Years|
|M Pharm (Biopharmaceutics & Pharmacokinetics)||2 Years|
|M Pharm (Biotechnology)||2 Years|
|M Pharm (Pharmaceutical Chemistry)||2 Years|
|M Pharm (Medicinal Chemistry)||2 Years|
|M Pharm (Drug Discovery and Drug Development)||2 Years|
|M Pharm (Cosmeceuticals)||2 Years|
|M Pharm (Pharmaceutical Quality Assurance)||2 Years|
|M Pharm (Pharmaceutical Market and Management)||2 Years|
PG Pharmacy Courses: Admissions
Applicants must have a bachelor of pharmacy or B pharmacy degree from a recognized board and have secured a minimum of 50% marks. They should have also qualified entrance exams like GPAT, AP PGECET, etc. The entrance exam syllabus includes subjects from 10+2, with a major focus on chemistry and biology. Check M Pharmacy Admission 2021 for all the latest application dates and admission processes.
PG Pharmacy Courses: Top Colleges
|College Name||Average Fees|
|National Institute of Pharmaceutical Education and Research (NIPER)||INR 1,80,000|
|Institute of Chemical Technology||INR 1,40,000|
|Manipal College of Pharmaceutical Sciences (MCOPS)||INR 8,30,000|
|JSS Academy of Higher Education and Research||INR 5,00,000|
|Bombay College of Pharmacy (BCP)||INR 2,76,000|
Doctorate Pharmacy Courses
|Doctor of Pharmacy||3 Years|
|PhD (Pharmacology)||3 Years|
|PhD (Pharmacognosy)||3 Years|
|PhD (Pharmaceutical Biotechnology)||3 Years|
|PhD (Pharmaceutical Chemistry)||3 Years|
|PhD (Pharmaceutical Sciences)||3 Years|
|PhD (Pharmaceutical Medicine)||3 Years|
|PhD (Pharmacognosy & Phytochemistry)||3 Years|
|PhD (Pharmacy Practice)||3 Years|
|PhD (Phytopharmacy & Phytomedicine)||3 Years|
Doctorate Pharmacy Courses: Admissions
- Admission to the doctor in Pharmacy course is done based on national-level and state-level admission tests.
- Some of the most popular doctors of pharmacy entrance tests are UGC NET, CSIR UGC NET.
- In some cases, the conducting body also organizes an interview and based on the performance in the interview, admissions are done.
- Check PharmD Admission 2021 for all the latest application dates of colleges that offer PharmD courses.
Doctorate Pharmacy Courses: Top Colleges
Pharmacy Course Subjects
Although the detailed syllabus of every pharmacy course will vary a bit as they are of different duration and value, they all contain the important pharmacy course subjects that are mentioned below:
|Human Anatomy & Physiology||Pharmaceutical Chemistry|
|Microbiology||Pharmaceutical Engineering and Technology|
|Hospital Pharmacy||Clinical Pharmacy|
|Immunology||Marketing & Business Management|
|Electronics & Computer Science||Engineering|
|Pharmaceutical Biotechnology||Computational Chemistry|
Pharmacy Courses: Required Skills
A student willing to take admissions in pharmacy courses is expected to have the following skills, while some of these skills are specific and are inculcated with years of experience and learning, the rest are basic skills.
|Research Skills||Analytical Skills|
|Computer skills||Proofreading Skills|
|Communication skills||Mathematical Skills|
|Observation skills and an eye for detail.||Ability to Multitask|
|Scientific Paper Writing Skills||Counseling Skills|
Scope of Pharmacy Courses
Pharmacy is a popular career option in India that provides you with the opportunity to work in a wide number of fields including research labs, pharmacy stores, hospitals, armed forces, government hospitals, and pharmaceuticals industries. Given below are some of the best pharmacy jobs and the average salary offered.
Job Prospects After Pharmacy Courses
|Job Profile||Average Salary|
|Clinical Research Associate||INR 3-4 lakhs|
|Pharmacist||INR 2-5 lakhs|
|Drug Safety Associate||INR 3.5-5 lakhs|
|Drug Inspector||INR 6-8 lakhs|
|Pharmacy Business||INR 8 lakhs|
|Scientific Writer||INR 3 lakhs|
|Pathological Lab Scientist||INR 3.25 lakhs|
Pharmacy Courses: FAQs
Ques. Can I study a Pharmacy course online?
Ques. Is Pharmacy a good career?
Ques. Can I opt for an academic career in Pharmacy?
Ques. Can I study a Pharmacy course abroad?
Ques. Which are the top Pharmacy colleges?
Ques. What are the best Pharmacy courses available in India?
Ques. What are the popular entrance tests for the Pharmacy course?
Ques. How many Pharmacists earn on average?
Ques. Is studying pharmacy in India a good career option?
Ques. Is BPharma better than BSc?