PhD Admissions 2021 are based on entrance exams, however there are a few colleges that consider admissions based on merit followed by a personal interview.
The PhD Admission for the academic year 2021 is currently open in several universities such as IIMA, NERIST. The last date to apply at IIMA for PhD in Management is January 17, 2022. The registrations for PhD admission 2021 have been completed in DTU Delhi, NIFT, BITS etc.
PhD (Doctor of Philosophy) is a 3 years research program that extensively deals with the research studies in various domains like Humanities / Arts, Science, Engineering, Management, Pharmacy, Mass Communication, Law, Commerce, etc.
Students applying for PhD Admission 2021 should have a minimum qualifying marks of 50% aggregate or equivalent CGPA score in their postgraduate degree, post which a valid cut-off score in entrance exams or performance in personal interviews and written tests will make you eligible to secure admissions in top PhD Colleges.
Top PhD Colleges: Application Deadline
|IIT Bombay (IITB)||March 24, 2021- April 04, 2021 (Closed)|
|Indian Institute of Science, Bangalore||March 20, 2021- April 20, 2021 (Closed)|
|IIT Delhi||March 15, 2021- April 30, 2021 (Closed)|
|IIT Madras||March 15, 2021- April 30, 2021 (Closed)|
|IIT Kharagpur||March 30, 2021- April 20, 2021 (Closed)|
|IIT Kanpur||January 02, 2021- February 06, 2021 (Closed)|
|University of Delhi||July 2021 – August 2021 (Closed)|
|University of Hyderabad||January 10, 2021- February 03, 2021 (Closed)|
|IIT Roorkee||January 01, 2021- February 28, 2021 (Closed)|
|IIT Guwahati||March 16, 2021- April 18, 2021 (Closed)|
PhD Admission 2021: Important Dates
The table below lists the applications form dates for PhD Admission 2021 in top colleges offering different PhD courses:
|College||Mode of Admission||Application Dates|
|IIT Madras, Chennai||Merit/Entrance||March 01, 2021 to April 30, 2021|
|Vellore Institute of Technology (VIT Vellore)||Entrance||December 16, 2020|
|NIT Patna||Entrance||January 18, 2021|
|Jawaharlal Nehru University, New Delhi||Entrance||Up to July 2021|
|Rama University, Kanpur||Entrance||June 2021|
|IISc Bangalore||Entrance||February 22, 2021 to March 31, 2021|
|Nirma University, Ahmedabad||Merit||February 21, 2021 to April 15, 2021|
|Mumbai University||Entrance||March 02, 2021|
|Chennai Mathematical Institute||Merit/Entrance||May 01, 2021 to May 31, 2021|
|TIFR Mumbai||Written Test & Interview||March 31, 2021|
|NITTTR Chandigarh||Merit (Work experience required)||February 12, 2021 to March 10, 2021|
|University of Calcutta||Entrance||Up to March 10, 2021|
|University of Lucknow||CET & Interview||March 09, 2021 to April 15, 2021|
|IIIT Delhi||Written Test & Interview||April 04, 2021|
|IIIT Bangalore||Entrance||February 2021 to May 05, 2021|
|IIT Mandi||Entrance||March 16, 2021- April 15, 2021|
|PGIMER, Chandigarh||Entrance||April 27, 2021|
|SLEIT, Sangrur||Entrance||July 15, 2021|
|BIT, Mesra||Entrance||June 10, 2021|
|IIT, Jammu||Entrance||May 15, 2021|
|IGIDR, Mumbai||Entrance||May 10, 2021|
|Thapar University||Entrance||June 30, 2021|
|MAHE||Entrance||May 15, 2021|
PhD Admission 2021: Entrance Exams
Various universities accept national level entrance exams to offer admission to the PhD course. However, there are several universities that conduct a university level entrance exam to offer PhD Admission 2021. Some of the PhD Entrance Exams along with their schedules are mentioned below.
PhD Admission 2021: Entrance Exam Schedule
Different kinds of entrance exams are conducted as PhD courses are offered in various PhD Specializations like Education, Engineering, Mathematics, Engineering, Planning, etc. Exam schedules for the top PhD Entrance Exams in India are given in the below table.
Also Check: PhD Education Entrance Exams
|Entrance Exam||Registration Date||Exam Date|
|IIT JAM||September 10, 2020||February 14, 2021|
|GPAT||Up to January 30, 2021||February 22 & 27, 2021|
|CUCET||Up to 1st week of July 2021||Fourth week of July 2021|
|VITMEE||March 3- June 14, 2021||To be Notified|
|RUET||2nd week of March 2021||1st week of June 2021|
National Level PhD Entrance Exams
Some of the national level PhD entrance exams which are listed in the above table are discussed here.
- Central Universities Common Entrance Tests (CUCET) is a national level examination that is regulated by ten central universities jointly.
- Admission to the central universities is done through this exam for all types of courses like UG, PG, and others.
- The exam is conducted in an offline mode.
- The duration of the exam is 2 hours which consists of Multiple Choice Questions.
- Graduate Pharmacy Aptitude Test (GPAT) is a national level entrance exam conducted every year for admission to PG Pharmacy and other equivalent courses like Integrated PhD.
- GPAT is conducted by the National Testing Agency (NTA).
- The exam is conducted in an online mode.
- The duration of the exam is 3 hours for a total of 500 marks.
Institution Level PhD Entrance Exams
Some of the institution level PhD entrance exams that are conducted specially for the admission of courses offered by those institutions are discussed in this section.
- Vellore Institute of Technology Master’s Entrance Examination (VITMEE) is an institution-level entrance exam that is conducted for admission into the PG courses like M.Tech, MCA, and also admission to the integrated PhD courses.
- It is conducted mainly for the admission to the Vellore Institute of Technology institutions and is conducted every year by the Vellore Institute of Science and Technology.
- The exam is conducted in an online mode.
- The duration of the exam is 2 hours.
- Rama University Entrance Test (RUET) is an institute or university level entrance exam which is conducted for the admission of UG, PG, and PhD courses offered by Rama University.
- The exam is conducted by Rama University with 120 multiple-choice questions.
- The exam is conducted in an offline mode.
- The duration for the PhD course entrance exam is 3 hours.
PhD Admission 2021: Syllabus
- The syllabus for the PhD courses varies based on the specialization the candidates opt for.
- PhD courses consist of both normal academic classroom sessions and research work.
- The research work plays a major role in PhD courses.
The structure of a PhD course includes course work, qualifying examination, research proposal preparation and thesis work.
PhD Admission 2021: Entrance Exam Preparation Tips
- Collect previous year entrance exams question papers available through the internet.
- Refer to the syllabus of PhD entrance exam as per the specialization.
- The format of the entrance exam varies depending upon the conducting body and hence be aware of the format to plan accordingly.
- Cover all the topics of the exam at least one month before the commencement of the exam.
- Practice various mock tests available to eliminate the exam pressure.
- Get updated upon the current affairs as it plays a crucial role in getting marks.
- Visit the exam center a day before the exam to avoid the last time confusion of searching the exam center.
- Take a deep sleep before the day of the exam.
- Visit the exam center earlier by 1 hour to avoid traffic congestion.
- Stay calm on the day of the exam.
PhD Admission Process 2021
Admission for PhD courses is carried out both through merit as well as the entrance based process. The admission process for both courses is explained below along with the basic eligibility criteria.
PhD Admission 2021: Eligibility Criteria
- The basic eligibility for applying to a PhD course is the possession of Masters or a PG degree.
- The candidates should have obtained at least 50 - 55% of marks or grades in the PG course based upon the community the candidate belongs to.
Candidates with work experience in the field of research are highly preferred and are given more preference.
Merit-Based PhD Admission 2021
- Top institutions offer PhD admission through a merit-based process.
- For this, the institute may ask for the candidates to submit the outline of the research proposal.
- This is done mainly for scrutinizing the candidates and the selected candidates are notified after the process.
- Also, the candidates should fulfill the basic eligibility of 50 - 55% of marks in the PG course.
Entrance Exam Based PhD Admission 2021
- National wise and institution wise entrance exams are conducted for the admission of PhD courses.
Some institutions even organize personal interviews along with the entrance exams for the admission of PhD courses..
PhD Admissions 2021: FAQs
Ques. Why should we do a PhD admission in 2021?
Ans. PhD is a very honorable degree in India. Earning a PhD degree is very useful to the candidates as it also plays a major role in boosting up the salary along with a promotion in a job if the candidate is in the teaching field.
Ques. What is the process of Ph.D admission 2021?
Ans. Normally the admission process of a PhD is done by two methods. The first one is the merit-based one in which the admission is done depending upon the marks of the candidates in the PG degree. The next one is the entrance based admission which is done through the marks scored by the candidates in the entrance exam.
Ques. What is the age limit of a PhD course?
Ans. There is no specific age limit for PhD courses. It can be pursued at any age but the candidate should satisfy the eligibility criteria.
Ques. What is a Direct PhD?
Ans. Direct PhD is a program that can be done immediately after completing a B.Tech degree. There is no need to complete a master’s degree. It is devised mainly for the students who want to pursue a career in the research field. It is now being offered in IIT institutions like IIT Madras.
Ques. Is a direct PhD advisable in India? Can a candidate apply for an assistant professor post after that in India?