IIT Madras is recently ranked at #255 by the QS Global World Rankings 2022 whereas the QS Asia Rankings 2021 has ranked the institute at the 50th position. Over the years, IIT Madras has managed to maintain its 1st position rank in the NIRF Engineering Ranking with 89.93 scores. In the year 2021, IIT Madras is again ranked at 1 in the Engineering category by the NIRF 2021. Check IIT Madars Ranking 2021
IITM has 16 academic departments and numerous research centers that offer postgraduate and undergraduate programs in distinct disciplines of Engineering, Technology, and Pure Sciences. The flagship program of IIT Madras is B.Tech CSE admission to which is strictly granted on the basis of the JEE Advanced entrance scores followed by the JoSAA Seat Allotment Process. In order to get admission in the B.Tech CSE Program at IIT Madras, a general category candidate is required to have scored a JEE Advanced rank of 158. However, the first-year fees for those taking admission into IIT Madras B.Tech is INR 75,116 while the average CTC at IIT Madras placement was INR 18.1 LPA, the highest CTC offered to a B.Tech student at IITM was INR 82.5 LPA. Check IIT Madras Placement 2021
Apart from these, the institute currently has an enrollment of over 8,000 students into its various programs and a team of more than 550 faculty members to provide the appropriate guidance to the students.
IIT Madras Key Highlights
- IIT Madras has inked MoUs with various universities abroad to promote the semester exchange program for its UG/DD/MA/MBA/MTech students.
- Recently, IBM has collaborated with IIT Madras to support the online B.Sc degree program on the NPTEL Platform.
- As per the current reports, IIT Madras has filed a total of 1,204 patents in India while the total number of international patents filed was 529. Also, IIT Madras has borne about 70% of the cost of filing foreign patents. Check IIT Madras News & Articles.
- The institute has a team of extremely talented and qualified professors to serve the students with the adequate quality of education. The excellent faculty members are awarded with the 'The Young Faculty Recognition Award' by the institute on the basis of their excellence in teaching, research and development. Check IIT Madras Faculty Details.
- IIT Madras is offering a scholarship for B.Sc in Programming and Data Science students having an annual family income of INR 1 Lakh. The students will get financial aid for 4 academic semesters.
- The placement of IIT Madras has a great ROI with the highest salary offered is INR 88.82 LPA to Computer Science Engineering. The median salary offered is INR 24.57 LPA in CSE.
- Electrical Engineering Students has been offered the highest CTC of INR 56.17 LPA and the median CTC offered is INR 20.23 LPA
- IITM in addition offers a wide range of facilities to the students which include Hostel Facilities, Sports, Clubs, Campus Festivals, Campus amenities, and a library.
IIT Madras B.Tech Admission: IIT Madras offers admission to B.Tech for which JEE is a compulsory eligibility test followed by JoSSA. Cutoff/ rank is released by the institute according to which admission takes place. Last year the opening and closing rank released for the most looked at course, CSE was 49 and 158 respectively. Closing and opening rank for each course offered by IITM is given below:
|IIT Madras Cut Off (BTech): General Category|
|Specialization||Opening Rank (Round 1)||Closing Rank (Round 6)|
|Computer Science and Engineering||49||158|
|Metallurgical & Materials Engineering||3,590||5,554|
Check: IIT Madras Admission 2021
IIT Madras Ranking
Being the leading Engineering institute in India, the Indian Institute of Technology Madras has been ranked by recognized platforms for its excellence in the field. Some of the rankings are as follows:
- Ranked 1 in the Overall category by NIRF 2021
- Ranked 1 in the Engineering category by NIRF 2021
- Ranked at #255 by the QS Global World Rankings 2022
- Ranked 50th by the QS Asia Rankings 2021
- Ranked 1st in Engineering as well as Overall categories by NIRF Ranking 2020.
- Ranked 1st in the Engineering category by Outlook Ranking 2019
- Ranked 2nd internationally by ARWU Ranking 2019
- Ranked 1st in Engineering category by Jagranjosh Ranking 2019
- Ranked #200 - #250 internationally by Times Higher Education Ranking 2020
- Ranked 4th overall by QS Ranking 2020
- Ranked 654th overall internationally by US News Ranking 2020
- Ranked 3rd in Engineering category by The Week Ranking 2019.
Check: IIT Madras Ranking
IIT Madras Courses, Fee, and Selection Criteria
IIT Madras offers Undergraduate, Postgraduate, and Research programs in streams like Engineering, Sciences, Humanities, and Management. Given below is a brief about the programs with their eligibility:
|Program||Eligibility||Selection Criteria||Tuition Fee (first year)|
|B.Tech||The applicant must have passed 10+2 in the PCM stream with a minimum of 75% marks.||JEE Main Score||INR 75,116|
Graduation in a relevant subject (B.E./ B.Tech) with at least 6.5 CGPA (on 10 point scale) or 60% marks from a recognized Institute
|GATE Score followed by Written Test and/or Interview||INR 2,11,847|
|M.Sc||Bachelor’s degree in respective discipline with minimum 55% aggregate marks||IIT JAM||INR 17,670|
|MBA||Bachelor’s degree in Engineering /Technology/ Architecture /Pharmacy / B.Sc. Agri. Engg. (Minimum 4 year after 10+2) with at least 60% marks
Master’s degree in any branch of Chemistry/ Computer Application, Physics/ Mathematics/ Statistics/ Environmental Science or Computational/ Information Sciences/ Electronics Sciences/ Agriculture/ Economics/ Commerce with minimum 60% marls
|CAT, Group Discussion and Interview Round||INR 6,00,000|
M.E/ M.Tech or MD degree with at least 60% (55% for SC/ST/PH) marks in aggregate
|GATE/ UGC-NET/ CSIR-NET/ ICAR or ICMR score OR Written Test and Interview||INR 19,670|
IIT Madras M.Tech
IIT Madras offers an M.Tech program for a duration of two years. Different departments of the institute offer different disciplines in this program, selection to which is done on a credit-based system. The major courses are Aerospace Engineering, Applied Mechanics, Computer Science & Engineering, Biotechnology.
Admissions into the M.Tech program at IIT Madras are based on the GATE scores followed by a written test and personal interview conducted by the institute. IIT graduates who have a CGPA of 8.0 and above can apply without GATE scores. The first-year fee for the program is INR 211,847.
The placement rate for the M.Tech program at IIT Madras is more than 60% and the highest CTC offered to M.Tech students is INR 88.82 LPA. The top recruiters for M.Tech are Qualcomm, Intel, Samsung, Maxlinear, Sandisk, MediaTek, Redpine Signals, Analog Devices, TI, Cypress Semiconductor.
IIT Madras Ph.D.
IIT Madras offers a Ph.D. program for a duration of five years under four departments, namely, Engineering, Science, Humanities & Social Studies, and Management. To be eligible for admission to the Ph.D. program, a candidate must hold a master's degree in the relevant field with a minimum aggregate of 60% and a valid score in GATE or UGC-JRF/NET/CSIR-JRF.
Candidates with a master’s degree from IITs with a CGPA of 8.0 and above can directly apply for admission. Selection of the candidates will be done on the basis of scores in the national level entrance exam and then a personal interview conducted by the respective department.
IIT Madras Data Science
IIT Madras offers an online program in Data Science. The basic requirement for admission is 10+2 from a recognized board. Applications are open for admission in the September 2021 term. Interested candidates can apply online by visiting the official website of IIT Madras.
All the applicants through regular entry will have to go through the qualifier process in which they get access to 4 weeks of content for the four foundational courses, namely, English I, Mathematics for Data Science I, Statistics for Data Science I, and Computational Thinking.
IIT Madras Online Degree
The Indian Institute of Technology, Madras has introduced its substitute of Online Degrees allowing students to study an undergraduate degree or diploma from anywhere regardless of their age in a wide range of academic backgrounds and streams. The programs offered under the IIT Madras Online Degree include Foundation + Diploma in Programming or Foundation + Diploma in Data Science and B.Sc in Programming and Data Science. The basic eligibility criteria for these programs require a student to have studied Mathematics and English in their 10 and should have previously/ currently enrolled in any of the bachelor's degree programs or diplomas.
The program structure of IIT Madras Online Courses is split into three levels i.e. Foundation Courses, Diploma Courses, and BSc Degree. The interested students can enroll in the online courses either via regular mode or diploma-only entry. Students registering via the regular mode are required to join at the Foundation level which consists of 8 courses whereas the students registering at the Diploma Only Entry can not further proceed their diploma towards the BSc degree. However, the students are required to complete all three levels of foundational certifications, diploma courses, and B.Sc Degree in Programming and Data Science to get the B.Sc degree.
IIT Madras Placements
Being the highest-ranked engineering college in India, the Indian Institute of Technology Madras also boasts a very impressive placement record, bringing in many recruiters and high packages. The Career and Placement Center at IIT madras assists students by training them professionally before administering them into the industry as better professionals and individuals who contribute to the industry in major ways.
- Students get recruited by some of the biggest industry giants across various departments. Some of the major recruiters of IIT Madras include Deloitte, Google, Samsung, Citi Bank, Airbus, Honeywell, HSBC, ICICI Bank, Apple, Amazon, American Express, RBS, UBS, JP Morgan Chase, and many others.
- In the year 2021, a total of 1047 have been placed in the top companies across the globe. The highest package recorded by IIT Madras is INR 70 LPA for the B.Tech CSE branch.
Branch-wise CTC 2021
|Branch||Highest CTC||Median CTC||Lowest CTC|
|Aerospace Engineering||INR 31 LPA||INR 12 LPA||INR 6 LPA|
|Applied Mechanics||INR 31.97 LPA||INR 11.64 LPA||INR 6 LPA|
|Biotechnology||INR 37 LPA||INR 12 LPA||INR 5 LPA|
|Civil Engineering||INR 52.5 LPA||INR 15 LPA||INR 5.4 LPA|
|Chemical Engineering||INR 37 LPA||INR 11.5 LPA||INR 6 LPA|
|Chemistry||INR 8 LPA||INR 6.28 LPA||INR 3.67 LPA|
|Computer Science and Engineering||INR 70 LPA||INR 25 LPA||INR 9 LPA|
|Electrical Engineering||INR 45.03 LPA||INR 18.43 LPA||INR 6 LPA|
|Engineering Design||INR 35.9 LPA||INR 12 LPA||INR 7.1 LPA|
|Engineering Physics||INR 19.85 LPA||INR 17 LPA||INR 8.5 LPA|
|Humanities and Social Sciences||INR 12.33 LPA||INR 9 LPA||INR 6 LPA|
|Mathematics||INR 33.11 LPA||INR 12 LPA||INR 7.2 LPA|
|Mechanical Engineering||INR 45.03 LPA||INR 12.6 LPA||INR 5 LPA|
|Metallurgical and Mechanical Engineering||INR 37.2 LPA||INR 16.8 LPA||INR 8 LPA|
|Ocean Engineering||INR 22 LPA||INR 12.25 LPA||INR 6 LPA|
|Physics||INR 8 LPA||INR 8 LPA||INR 8 LPA|
IIT Madras Faculty
Indian Institute of Technology Madras has a large and diverse faculty of 630 members in total across all academic departments, with all of them holding Ph.D. in their respective fields. The best in class faculty members are all alumni from reputed national and international universities, and hold an immense amount of experience in their disciplines. The faculty members include professors, assistant professors, associate professors, and others. They are all extremely encouraging toward students to clarify all their concepts and doubts, even outside of the classroom and lectures. Teachers follow interactive and unique methods to impart education to students.
Check: IIT Madras Faculty
IIT Madras Facilities
Being the most reputed Engineering institute in the country, the Indian Institute of Technology Madras takes care of all requirements that students have on campus. Students at IIT Madras can enjoy convenient and enriching campus life with the following facilities:
- Hostel: There are hostels available for both boys and girls on the college campus. The hostels are laid out with green lawns and many amenities available to residents such as libraries, common rooms, indoor games, TV, delicious mess food, music rooms, dance rooms and more. The Hostel Library has a great collection of general books, fiction, comics, and more.
- Library: The central library at IIT Madras has around 20,00,000 books covering all disciplines of science, engineering, technology, humanities & social science.
- Medical Facilities: There is a hospital available on campus that is in service 24x7. In case of severe emergencies, students can also be transported to the hospital in an ambulance.
- Food: Along with the mess facility provided to hostel residents at IIT Madras, the food court is also available to students. The food court offers various delicacies on the menu, serving meals and dishes from all across parts of India.
- Sports: Students at IIT Madras receive a number of sports facilities on campus including a Swimming pool of Olympic standards, a well-equipped gymnasium, the impressive IIT-Chemplast cricket ground, a vast stadium, and a hi-tech wood-floored multipurpose indoor stadium in the Students' Activities' Center.
Know more: IIT Madras Hostel
IIT Madras Alumni
- Venky Harinarayan: Co-founder of Cambrian Ventures and Kosmix. Harinarayan also Co-founded Junglee Corp
- Kris Gopalakrishnan: Popularly known as Kris Gopalakrishnan, is Chairman of Axilor Ventures. He is also a former Executive Vice Chairman of Infosys
- Ramanathan V. Guha: Creator of widely used web standards such as RSS, RDF and Schema.org. He is also responsible for products such as Google Custom Search.
- Krishna Bharat: Indian research scientist at Google Inc.
IIT Madras FAQs
Ques. What are the courses available at IIT Madras?
Ans. The IIT Madras offers a multitude of courses at undergraduate, postgraduate, and research levels. The programs available are B.Tech, M.Tech, M.Sc, MBA, and Ph.D.
Ques. How is IIT Madras?
Ans. Indian Institute of Technology (IIT) Madras is ranked 1st in the Engineering category by NIRF Ranking 2019 as well as Outlook Ranking 2019, making it the leading engineering institute in India and the first option for many eligible candidates. Being the leading Engineering institute in India, the Indian Institute of Technology Madras has been ranked by recognized platforms for its excellence in the field.
Ques. How is the placement avenue at IIT Madras?
Ans. The placement cell of IIT Madras is very active. They strive to achieve equal placement for all its students. They find field-specific placements for their students. The recruiters included major names in the industry such as Microsoft, Visa Inc, Rolls Royce India Pvt Ltd, Goldman Sachs, Amazon, ICICI Prudential, MRF, Boeing International Corp India Pvt Ltd, Apple India Private Limited, Uber and Google to name a few.
Ques. Are there any scholarships available for students at IIT Madras?
Ans. Yes, IIT Madras offers various scholarships to its students from various courses. They are as under -
- Facebook’s 2014 Grace Hopper Scholarship: This scholarship is given to 25 women students from all over the world and includes paid registration fee for the Grace Hopper Conference in Arizona (US), paid travel and accommodation, and reception with Facebook’s Engineering team.
- Google Anita Borg Memorial Scholarship (Asia Pacific): This scholarship is given to women for excellence in computer science, demonstrated leadership and passion for technology.
- Apart from these, the Institute also offers DAAD Scholarship, Aditya Birla Scholarship to meritorious and deserving students.
Ques. Are there any hostel facilities available at IIT Madras?
Ans. Yes, there are hostels available for both boys and girls on the college campus. The hostels are laid out with green lawns and many amenities available to residents such as libraries, common rooms, indoor games, TV, delicious mess food, music rooms, dance rooms, and more. The Hostel Library has a great collection of general books, fiction, comics and more.
Ques. What are some of the facilities available at IIT Madras?
Ans. There are many facilities available at IIT Madras. Students at IIT Madras can enjoy convenient and enriching campus life with the following facilities:
- Medical Facilities: There is a hospital available on campus that is in service 24x7.
- Library: The central library at IIT Madras has around 20,00,000 books covering all disciplines of science, engineering, technology, humanities & social science.
- Food: Along with the mess facility provided to hostel residents at IIT Madras, the food court is also available to students.
- Sports: Students at IIT Madras receive a number of sports facilities on campus including a Swimming pool of Olympic standards, a well-equipped gymnasium, the impressive IIT-Chemplast cricket ground, a vast stadium and a hi-tech wood-floored multipurpose indoor stadium in the Students' Activities' Center.
Ques. What is the GATE cutoff required to get admission into the M.Tech program at IIT Madras?
Ans. Applicants need to score a minimum of 695 marks in the GATE entrance exam to get admission into the M.Tech program at IIT Madras for the general category applicants. The final selection will be done after the personal interview conducted by the institute.
Ques. Is the online degree from IIT Madras valid for placement opportunities?
Ans. Yes, IIT Madras offers an excellent online program in Programming and Data Science and offers an internship program at the end of the program. Students with this degree can also become alumni of IIT Madras.
Ques. What is the unique feature of IIT Madras?
Ans. IIT Madras is the 3rd oldest IIT and has collaborated with West Germany for financial assistance and technicalities. Its lush green campus makes it a serene view where deer and blackbuck live in harmony with the student community. The open-air theatre is one more plus point for the institute where Movies in English, Hindi, and regional languages are screened every Saturday at 8 PM.
Ques. What are the extracurricular activities organized by IIT Madras?
Ans. IIT Madras hosts the annual Chennai edition of the Terry Fox Run for cancer awareness and research in association with the Rotary Club of Madras East. Apart from this, the institute also conducts various workshops, seminars, competitions, annual fests, etc.